Ivan: The Monster Created by Society
- Ivan is not as good as we like to think…
“… he gave way to sensuality and to vanity… At school he had committed actions which had struck him beforehand as great vileness, and gave him a feeling of loathing for himself… But later on, perceiving that such actions were committed also by men of good position… he was able… to forget about them completely, and was never mortified by recollections of them.”
- Looks like our victim enjoyed power as well…
“… he liked treating such persons affably, almost like comrades; liked to make them feel that he, able to annihilate them, was behaving in this simple, friendly way… Ivan Ilyich felt that everyone… all were in his hands… the consciousness of this power… constituted for him the chief interest and attractiveness of his new position.”
- He didn’t fall in love with his wife, she was just appropriate for him (pg.90).
- The marriage started off pleasant but turned ugly when Praskovya got pregnant. Ivan then so kindly used his “official duties” to “protect himself” from her(pg.91).
- He was a workaholic… the worse his family life got, the more and more he got out of the house (pg.93).